I just had an interesting thought: What “real” progress have I made in my life and my business during the last year?
Really, have you stopped to consider all you’ve done during the last year and how you’ve progressed personally and professionally?
We are busy women and busy women often don’t make time to sit back, relax and take stock of all they’ve accomplished. I think it is time we do just that – let’s take stock of all we’ve accomplished since this time last year.
You’re probably asking yourself why is this important – the past is the past. You’re right, the past is the past but we can learn so much from what’ve accomplished and the lessons learned.
1. Take out your Day Planner or your computer calendar and make a list of at least one accomplishment for each of the last twelve months. They don’t have to be major accomplishments but they do have to be something you’re proud of achieving.
2. Looking over the past twelve months, how many accomplishments are personal and how many are professional?
3. Of these twelve accomplishments how many were actual goals you set out to achieve?
4. How have these accomplishments helped you go forward personally and professionally during the past year?
5. What lessons can you learn by looking at these accomplishments? What would you like to do differently or improve upon during the coming year?
Here is why I believe this activity is so important: The past is the past that’s true but the lessons we are able to learn can be invaluable as we begin analyzing our success patterns and habits.
Here’s what I mean:
1. Are there certain months during the year that you seem to accomplish more or work longer and harder than other months?
2. Do you accomplish more prior to or just after a vacation or holiday?
3. Did you follow a plan of action for achieving goals or did you change your plan to meet challenges or deadlines?
4. Did certain upcoming events motivate you to work faster or harder?
As we begin to analyze our patterns of success, we begin to truly understand our success “cycles.” We also become more aware of our internal and external motivators. Motivators are those things that propel us to come out of our comfort zone and keep us going forward even when the going gets tough.
What do you think, will it be worth making some quiet and reflective time to look at the last twelve months and ask yourself if you’ve used your time and energy wisely? Are you where you expected to be with the effort you’ve put in during the past year? What will you do the same and what will you change during the next twelve months?
Let me share one of my favorite quotations:
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” Steve Jobs, Apple Co-Founder
Copyright © 2009-2010 Sharon Michaels – All Rights Reserved
I’m Sharon Michaels and my business is dedicated to empowering and coaching women in business. I show women entrepreneurs how to build a financially successful business by empowering themselves and enhancing their business-building skills.
I invite you to subscribe to my free weekly Ezine, Unlimited Success for Women In just minutes a week I can show you how to successfully grow yourself and your business, make more money and have more time to enjoy your life!